Thursday, March 19, 2015

Hair Dryers in Hotels and Noticing Donor Behavior

By this point you all know that I travel, I travel a ton. One of my least favorite things to deal with in hotels is the hair dryer. Ladies, I know you know what I mean. So when I find a hotel that has a kickin hair dryer, like the Kimpton Canary in Santa Barbara, I rejoice. See, for me, and for our donors it's the detail that matters. Let's take for example a donor's giving behavior. It's not as important for us to focus on the amount of their gift as it is the way in which they gave. What is their behavior telling us?

How do we adapt our methodologies to suit their needs and also make them feel special and unique. Let's examine an example in practice. I recently visited Cook Children's Hospital Foundation, a wonderful bunch of people dedicated to their mission. As we went about affecting change, one of the things we realized was that the reply device envelopes we were placing in annual reports weren't cost effective and a part of our best practices moving forward, we decided to eliminate them. Before we just eliminated them outright, we examined who was using those devices to send in gifts and sent them a note from the VP along with some extra envelopes for them to use and letting them know we appreciate them and value their contributions and the way in which they choose to communicate. They sent back a lovely note and a contribution. What we did is notice what makes them unique. Here's a photo of the communication.





Brilliant in its simplicity, but letting the donors know we care about their needs and notice that they are different and stand out.

Take for example the loyal donor, tops of the heap and folks that are generous and stable and dedicated to us. How are we recognizing their loyalty? A hand written note from the president or CEO is a great way to celebrate milestone years like 20 or 25 and let them notice that their behavior is important, not the size of their gift. Why does this matter? With ever declining retention and increasing focuses on larger mega gifts, these steady supporters show us that they matter in innumerable ways. Do you have a plan for them in place? How do you make them feel special? One of my clients puts the number of consecutive years of giving right on the receipt. Front and center. Letting them know we noticed and we care. If Delta can thank me for my loyalty, why can't a nonprofit that I care for do the same?

How are you recognizing behavior and planning for it? At the YMCA of Greater Charlotte we transformed their amount based chart into a behavior based chart of activities and the result is stunning. What will you try today to recognize and reward the behavior we most seek? I would love to hear your thoughts on the topic.
Cheers,
Lynne

8 comments:

  1. Fantastic blog Lynne! Seems every time I read something of yours, you've read my mind. It's the details and what I call "loving finesse" which helped me land a recent $1M gift. Love your stuff girl!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Lynne,
    Can you share some additional behaviors that you recommend measuring in the behavior based chart of activities, aside from years of giving and method of giving? I'd like to implement something like this at my organization. Another great post!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Absolutely! Here are some from a previous blog post! http://donorguru.blogspot.com/2012/01/let-data-drive-your-strategic.html

      Delete
    2. Thanks, Lynne! This is helpful. I couldn't agree more that our partnerships with our tech colleagues are CRITICAL to our success. Highlighting their work and recognizing them often pays major dividends! Then circle back and show them the impact that the data had, so that they know it was a worthwhile investment of their time.

      Delete
  3. Great post and really fantastic way to start the day today! Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  4. One suggestion for anyone considering copying the above letter - let the donor know that "we have a SECURE online giving site . . ." and make sure that you do.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks for the helpful post. In my thank you notes to donors, I recognize that they have been giving to us since the year they made their first contribution and reiterate our appreciation for their loyalty and continued support. Oh, and my husband used to work for Kimpton and Canary tops the list of best hotels in my book!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Great post Lynne. Thanks for the reminder to think about who a change may affect, and to take the time to reach out individually with a solution.

    Also, as a former Santa Barbara resident, I get a little jealous every time you tweet that you're headed to the Canary ;)

    ReplyDelete